Challenge yourself on a marathon of intense proportions and in one of the most remote regions of the world. The Antarctic Ice Marathon is the only marathon run on mainland Antarctica. This is the southernmost marathon on Earth, it takes place at ALE’s Union Glacier Camp, just a few hundred miles from the South Pole in the interior of Antarctica.
For those who fancy a shorter distance, the Frozen Continent Half Marathon of 13.1 miles (21km) presents a considerable challenge over the same hushed, indomitable terrain.
For the toughest endurance athletes, the Antarctic 100k Race completes the amazing trio of running events.
Each event presents a truly formidable and genuine Antarctic challenge with snow and ice underfoot throughout, an average windchill temperature of -4°F (–20°C), the possibility of strong katabatic winds, and an average course elevation of 3,000 feet (900 m). Runners will race a groomed and marked course with snowmobile support, aid stations, and medical personnel at hand for the duration of each race.
Marathon: November 23 – 26, 2016
7 Continents Marathon: January 20 – 23, 2017
*These events are supported by ALE and organized by Polar Running Adventures. Please contact Polar Running for more information and to register: http://www.icemarathon.com/
- Airport transfers in Punta Arenas, Chile for the Antarctic flights
- Round trip flight to Union Glacier, Antarctica from Punta Arenas, Chile
- Meals and tented accommodation in Antarctica
- Polar sleeping bags
- Checked luggage up to 55 lb (25 kg)
- Insurance coverage – personal, medical, evacuation, or otherwise
- Commercial flights to and from Punta Arenas
- Airport transfers other than for the Antarctic flights
- Meals and accommodation in Punta Arenas
- Additional flights within Antarctica
- Personal equipment and clothing
- Expenses incurred due to delays
- Luggage over 55 lb (25 kg)
- Satellite phone charges